If you have a legal problem,

We have your solution.

What to Do If You Are Injured on the Job

May 4, 2015
Category: General

Workplace injuries are not at all uncommon. It doesn’t matter if you spend all day staring at the monitor, lift heavy boxes or operate equipment: there is a chance you can get hurt on the job. Sometimes it’s an accident and other times it’s an illness that’s been developing over the years of your employment. In most cases, if you suffer a workplace injury, you may qualify for certain compensation to help offset your health care costs. As Maryland workers’ compensation lawyers, we are here to offer a brief guide on what to do if you get injured on the job.

Notify Your Supervisor

First of all, notify your superior right away. Even if it’s something minor like a sprained ankle, let your manager know that you are hurt. Even minor injuries can lead to unpleasant consequences for your health, especially if they are not addressed promptly and correctly, which brings us to the next point.

Seek Medical Help

If the injury is severe enough to require medical care or affect your ability to do your work, get it checked out by a doctor as soon as possible. You can do a walk-in into any urgent care clinic or call 911 and request an ambulance if you are seriously injured.

Document Everything

If you feel well enough to write down some notes about the accident, do this while your memory is fresh. Describe in detail what happened, the date and time, location, witnesses and anything else you can think of. Also keep records of all doctor visits and any related paperwork.

Consult With Your Lawyer

If you got injured on the job, you may be eligible to receive workers’ compensation benefits. Workers’ compensation is an insurance program established by the State of Maryland that applies to all employers that have one or more employees (with a few exceptions).

In order to receive workers’ compensation benefits, you first have to file a claim with the Workers’ Compensation Commission. Not all types of injuries are covered by workers’ compensation. In Maryland, you must have suffered “an accidental personal injury arising out of and in the course of employment” for your claim to be approved. An experienced Maryland workers’ compensation attorney will be able to advise you whether your type of injury fits under this definition and if not, what other options you have to recover damages.

If you need help negotiating a settlement with the company, filing a workers’ compensation claim, disputing denial of a claim or filing a lawsuit against your employer for a non-covered injury, contact DRA e-Law today for a consultation.

Do you need a lawyer?

Click to View the Areas We Serve

Baltimore County: Arbutus (21227), Catonsville (21228, 21250), Cockeysville (21030, 21031, 21065), Dundalk (21222), Edgemere (21219), Essex (21221), Garrison (21055), Lansdowne (21227), Lochearn (21207), Lutherville (21093), Middle River (21220), Milford Mill (21244), Overlea (21236), Owings Mills (21117), Parkville (21234), Park Heights (21215), Pikesville (21208), Randallstown (21133), Reisterstown (21136), Rosedale (21237), Timonium (21093), Towson (21204), White Marsh (21162), Woodlawn (21207), and more.

Baltimore City

Howard County: Clarksville (21029), Columbia (21044), Cooksville (21723), Dorsey (21075), Elkridge (21075), Ellicott City (21043), Fulton (20759), Glenelg (21737), Glenwood (21738), Granite (21163), Hanover (21076), Highland (20777), Jessup (20794), Lisbon (21765), Marriottsville (21104), North Laurel (20723), West Friendship (21794), Woodbine (21797), Woodstock (21163), and more.

Carroll County: Eldersburg (21784), Finksburg (21048), Hampstead (21074), Manchester (21102), Marriottsville (21104), Taneytown (21787), Union Bridge (21791), Westminster (21157, 21158), Mount Airy (21771), New Windsor (21776), Sykesville (21784), Woodbine (21797), Taneytown (21787), and more.

Montgomery County: Olney (20832), Damascus (20872), Laytonsville (20882), Silver Spring (20910), Clarksburg (20871), Gaithersburg (20878), Germantown (20876), Bethesda (20816), Chevy Chase (20815), and more.

Frederick County: Frederick (21701, 20702, 21703, 21709), New Market (21774) , Mount Airy (21771), Urbana (21704), Ijamsville (21754), Walkersville (21793), Libertytown (21762), Damascus (20872), and more.

©2015 DRA e-Law, All Rights Reserved.
Site Designed and Developed: Advantage Internet Marketing